A friend called to check in and congratulate me on all my recent progress. But honestly, she sounded exhausted and a bit frazzled. When I asked what’s up, she had FIVE major projects happening at the same time. Half were volunteer efforts, where perhaps she is over-committed and taking too much time away from getting her revenue-generating activities in order. Life just became too darn demanding (when it doesn’t have to be for her). No wonder she sounded frustrated…being busy but broke is never fun.
Sure, sometimes we face overwhelm when life gets too demanding. People get sick, accidents happen, workplace transitions kick our butts sometimes. While we cannot control EVERYTHING, however, we tend to sadly bring much of this chaos on ourselves. I’m the first to admit that over-commitment and lack of focus was always my challenge, too. Saying YES too often, not charging enough for my services so that I was working too hard and running around like a crazy person (busy but not productive).
Looking back, my quantum leap and success shift happened once I learned to…
- HONOR myself more and work in my zone of genius (vs trying to please everyone and do too many things)
- START saying NO
- DELEGATE (including taking the time to spell out exactly where I needed help and what was required for others to step in)
- FOCUS on what mattered in all areas – family, fun, fitness, finances and my fabulous career
- ESTABLISH a 90-day success plan with just 2 major priorities each day
- PACKAGE my services in a sales funnel with the right price points so that much is automated (for those who want to work at their own pace and save some dollars)
- RAISE MY VIP RATES by ensuring huge value for my 1:1 clients (who pay a premium but desire that personalized service to drive results faster).
Not only did I find time to become better and appreciate the more important facets of my life: I sleep more (7 hours) and don’t feel cranky all the time. I eat healthier. Amazing clients and collaborators are showing up because I’m ready to receive them. I can afford to hire great help so that others can lighten my load and free my time for more important facets of my life.
So I ask you this…
how effective can we be when we fail to FOCUS and set priorities?
If you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a moment to ROCK YOUR FOCUS & CLARITY with this free video and printed quiz. You’ll get FREE access to watch a short video and take just 3 minutes to answer 10 quick (but super important) questions so you know exactly where to focus your efforts so you enjoy greater success with less OVERWHELM. It’ll help you identify which of the 10 areas require your urgent attention so you can get yourself back on track and working in your zone of genius! www.rockonsuccess.com/focus
What’s your focus challenge,..or best tip to overcome the overwhelm? Thanks for sharing below!
Napoleon Hill touted the virtues of collaborative brainstorming and problem solving in his classic “Think and Grow Rich.” After all, if masterminds could work for geniuses like Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Warren G. Harding and Harvey Firestone (who were in one together, calling themselves the Vagabonds), imagine how shared learning through a mastermind could catapult YOUR career?
Ask these important questions to find the RIGHT mastermind for you and your precious business:
- Is this mastermind led by someone who “gets it” and “gets you”? The energy, sharing and spirit must align because you’re entering into a commitment to be both a generous giver and an excellent receiver as a mastermind contributor.
- Do you prefer an informal/unscripted volunteer group vs an organized program with milestones and structure to move you along a specific growth plan?
- How does the cadence and quality of the group’s content match your learning style (and does it match up with your weakest focus areas)?
Get comfortable with getting uncomfortable to learn more and hone your skills.
- How much time is allotted to YOU and YOUR needs in 1:1 coaching and in the “hot seat”? Expect to pay (and reap rewards) for 1:1 executive engagement, unless you choose to save money and buy access strictly to a group discussion or DIY content machine. (There are great reasons why any of these may be right for you.)
- How much direct 1:1 coaching will you get from the leader vs interaction from the group members or guest experts?
- Will the mastermind make you smarter, stronger and faster in decision-making (since educated, collaborative decisions shorten your learning curve and yield exponential growth)?
Everyone makes mistakes…even the most successful people out there. But, what achievers do better than others is recognize the patterns that are causing those mistakes and never repeat them again. In short, they learn from pain—their own and the pain of others. – Success Magazine
- Can the leader support me through career transition to create multiple revenue streams and a solid “plan B”?
Most folks recognize that lifetime careers at a single company are rare these days. They rely on masterminds to help think out loud about the uncertainties of their industry and build a loyal tribe who follows them anywhere.
I built a prolific Rock on Success Mastermind in response to the challenges and complaints I’d heard about others with no real leadership involvement, hands-off approach, etc. So my goal was to empower folks like you to ROCK your business and your life without selling your soul or losing your mind.
It creates a surrogate “board of directors” or “personal advisory board” so that you can share freely and grow together. Strict privacy and confidentiality rule so that when you share in the “hot seat” we can totally focus on you and your challenges, wins and hottest issue to work through together. Folks get very direct advice and support, with weekly 1:1 coaching as well as group feedback.
Masterminds vary, but I built this one to also deliver valuable content that cycles through 7 modules, open every 2 weeks so you have time to absorb the info and work on assignments and “comfort zone challenges.” With my 30-year background in marketing, PR and social media strategy, I chose to focus on business process that help newbie and seasoned rock star business professionals short cut their learning and accelerate their growth in 7 key areas.
- Focus on Strength
- Sales Skills
- Marketing Skills
- Money Mindset
How do I know what’s best for me?
You will want to think about your goals, your weaknesses and see if the content supports a strategic path that gives you what YOU need. Some groups are simply just talk on a weekly or monthly basis: the freebies tend to see lower commitment when there’s no “skin in the game.”
You’ll decide which may be enough and how fast you want to grow. Have a frank discussion with the group leader. Check out their testimonials. Talk to members, ask hard questions and get specific examples of success.
Most importantly, see how YOU FEEL: if the energy lifts you up and inspires you to grow stronger, smarter, faster then you are in the right place.
Hope this helps on your search, good luck. You ROCK!
No doubt, I’m far from perfect. But I am leading by example with a renewed commitment to getting stronger every day.
Even though I go to my fitness program, it’s a daily struggle: Between old injuries and an impending foot surgery I don’t jump or plank or walk as well as I’d like. Yes, I got busy with work and skipped some classes. But I’m rocking it by doing the best that I can.
Motivation + perspiration + accountability = results
No, diets alone don’t work. Just hitting the gym without living a cleaner daily practice won’t help you sustain your progress. In fact, growth comes when you find your happy place that honors your body, mind and spirit.
Food fuels the body, and like a high-performance car it responds best to premium gas. So I learned to buy organic foods and make smarter choices. That is, for most of the week leading up to my one planned “cheat meal” where I can literally eat or drink whatever I crave in ONE sitting. Nutrition re-balancing focuses on what proteins and other foods will heal the body, enhance workouts, reduce bloating and keep us “regular.” It’s not about deprivation as you actually have to eat MORE than ever, not less.
Your body will enjoy more of the right nutrition. Clean foods taste amazing and feel even better.
For example, five small meals a day help you digest better than starvation followed by a huge dinner. I no longer eat most “white” foods such as bread, rice, sugar and pasta. As a former cheese lover, eliminating dairy was more of a mental struggle. I save pizza or my mom’s killer lasagna for special occasions and enjoy how it tastes (but not always how I feel after eating such heavy foods). I bought a super-powered Vitamixer and learned to love fresh green smoothies. I now crave proteins (not salty potato or tortilla chips).
When we eat out, I simply tell restaurant servers that I’m allergic to dairy so that they don’t cook my food in butter or drown it in sauces, etc. Coffee is still a vice, but I now flavor with a drop of natural stevia and quickly learned to love unsweetened almond or coconut milk.
Giving up my weekend wine was not as hard as I’d expected: Simply volunteer to be the designated driver and you won’t miss it.
Am I tired? Yes, but in a happy progress sort of way. This new routing forced me to starting winding down the day at 10pm and falling asleep by 11. Now I’m waking without an alarm and loving how much better I feel.
Admittedly, the joys of entrepreneurship allow me the luxury of a 30-minute mid-afternoon meditation or a power nap.
When you commit to a better you, there’s all kinds of ways to measure progress: how you feel physically, emotionally and gaining confidence. Mindset shifts make it easier to rock my business every day. These perks reach far beyond the more obvious wins such as losing weight, gaining muscle or noticing clothes fit better. Imagine how great my friend Pam feels in all of these areas as she dropped 3 dress sizes in just one challenge!
Honoring your “zone” means surrounding yourself with folks who raise your vibration and bring out the very best in you – body, mind and spirit. I’ve made some incredible new friends who we’ve already laughed and cried with (literally). They remind me to stop letting the frustration of what I cannot [yet] do as well as I’d like keep me from trying my best. Every week I watch the team of warriors sweat and squat lower or plank longer or run faster or jump higher. Heck, I can do lots of little things that were seemingly impossible just 10 weeks ago. Indeed, I am truly grateful.
Happiness set in when I stopped comparing my [new] beginning to everyone else’s middle.
Find something…ANYTHING…that challenges you, makes you stronger and helps you learn to love yourself again. Surround yourself with positive people who will high-five you no matter how sweaty, slow or tired you may be. Know they’ve got your back and need you to be there to keep them accountable, too. It’s a two-way street!
You deserve to celebrate all 5 facets of a brilliant life: family, fun, fitness, better finances and a fabulous career. It’s even better when you discover groups or activities that address some or most of these attributes all at the same time.
Lookout 2020, I’m ready to kick butt (my own) and ROCK this new year.
You’re welcomed to come along for the ride if you’re up for adventure, growth and accountability. It’s motivation plus perspiration with lots of fun and great music and even greater peeps.
What new daily routines will you commit to for the next 90 days? Please share so we can cheer each other on…
We’ve got this! Happy new year and new YOU!
A VISION BOARD IS a collection of images, quotes, and symbols that have meaning to you and bring out feelings of joy, peace, love, and happiness. They represent your dream career and life.
The Power of a Vision Board
Whether or not you’re a fan of the bestseller, The Secret, one thing is undeniably true: That which we focus on we attract more of.
If you spend all your time worrying about money, it seems to slip right through your fingers. If you obsess over your weight, the pounds stubbornly hold on. And if you daydream about relaxing in the Caribbean sun, well, you’re a lot more likely to find yourself on a beach chair in the near future.
This isn’t some airy-fairy make-believe, either. We’ve known for decades that daydreams have power, and that purposeful visualization is the key to greater success in every area of life. So let’s ROCK your business & your life starting RIGHT NOW.
Ultimately, it doesn’t matter how you create your vision board, it only matters that you do create one. (Or more.) I recommend a minimum of one every year – and ideally, one each new quarter as we embark upon a new 90-day success plan.
Having this tool in your arsenal makes it much more likely you’ll achieve your dreams, as well as virtually ensuring your dreams will be larger than they were before you began your vision board adventure.
Before you begin though, here are the most important things to remember about your vision board.
1. It’s yours. There is no right or wrong way to create your dreams.
2. Dream big! Your vision board should not be filled with things that you could easily attain next week. A new cell phone has no place on your vision board.
3. Spend time with it. A vision board is a living document, and it will work better when it has your attention for at least a few minutes every single day.
Whether you create a stunning collage of individually framed images you carefully collected over the course of a year, or you build it on your iPad from stock photos, give vision boards a try. You might just be pleasantly surprised at the power they can wield in your life and your business.
If you’re looking to join a tribe and work on your vision board with more fun and accountability, here are two great options:
- Let’s chat about an in-person or virtual vision board workshop for your group
- Give the gift of a vision board online course to someone you care about, and enroll yourself, too. You’ll enjoy sharing a magical time to:
- Get clear on exactly HOW to work toward your dreams over the next 90 days
- Focus on your blessings and gratitude
- Prioritize and manifest your goals
- Create a vision board as a daily reminder of what matters most
- BONUS: Network and brainstorm with the go-givers in our exclusive Rock On Success Facebook group to help achieve success FASTER
Rock on, my friend. Share a photo or thoughts on what belongs on YOUR vision board.
It’s gonna be a GREAT new year!
Here is where this gets fun…one of my women’s leadership workshop participants (at the Professional Women in Construction recent dinner meeting) said she “borrowed” my idea and just made a box of rocks as a going away gift for a coworker. She had each write on a rock (and in the journal) what they admired about their friend.
Now they want a Rock on Success workshop as a client appreciation event in January instead of their traditional holiday party. Planners and rocks and motivation for everyone!
If you are tired of giving (and receiving) the same old fruits, candies, wine and other boring but necessary tokens of your affection, then STOP.
Why not think about fun and unique EXPERIENCES that create interaction, shared learning and warm MEMORIES?
Please share your most fun NON-traditional holiday gift-giving or experiences below. Or give me a call and I’d love to brainstorm ideas with you, too.
Rock your holidays,
Your challenges are not uniquely your own: many entrepreneurs struggle with doubt or lack clear direction. Collaborate problem-solving among the group offers a terrific way to learn from each other.
We’re finding a common challenge that’s bubbled up: business leaders want to grow but they aren’t clear on how to tell their story to their ideal clients so they can “sell more.” When peeling back the onion, we found confusion around the culprit:
- Failing to focus on one key service or product (get one sales funnel going well and then replicate that success vs scattering energy across lots of inefficient efforts)
- Ineffectively communicating that you have exactly what customers desire
- Unclear packages and pricing (so customers have an easy way to say YES to you)
One great way to gain traction is to literally ASK folks about their biggest pain points using open-ended questions. Reach out to your warm market in your email lists, Facebook and LinkedIn connections or groups to better understand their greatest pain or opportunity (the low-hanging fruit).
This is NOT sales pitch time, but rather a chance to humbly engage and build relationships. Sure, some folks may raise their hand and ask for help right away. It’s important to understand in your prospects’ own words what is working, or not, in their business. What problem do you solve for them…and how do they FEEL when you provide your support?
Next, get clear on how others perceive you and why you ROCK! Examine your thank you notes, LinkedIn recommendations and testimonials. I’m betting you’ll find they use similar words or phrases to describe how you’ve transformed them or made their life/career better. Their language and those exact phrases will become the backbone of your marketing content as you seek to clone and attract more of your ideal clients.
You will now know how to lead them down the sales funnel and speak directly to their greatest need.
Once you’ve identified patterns on your ideal clients’ “wish list” it’s time to get more quantitative with your research. An easy way to see what’s resonating most is by asking them to select favorites from among your top options. Closed-ended questions (via Survey Monkey, FB polls, etc) can help you test the wording and decide which program content or offers would best entice your target market.
Remember, you’re not married to just one program forever. But you can only win the race to financial freedom if you stop “getting ready to get ready” and start treating your business like a career vs a hobby. Do the research, take your best shot, learn from the journey and do even better next time.
Again, FOCUS is key as you “pick a horse and ride it!”
Are you drowning in overwhelm and sort of dreading the holidays? Not sure how you’re ever gonna get it all done? Fear no more, we’re about to get you back on track! Get ready to FOCUS on priorities and actually start having more FUN.
I created the Rock On Success 90-Day Fast Action Planner to help folks just like YOU find focus and freedom to live your best life WITHOUT selling your soul or losing your mind. My success system helps you stay productive so you can shine in your zone of genius (no more ripping the hair out of your head). Together, we will laser-focus your efforts so you enjoy greater success with less OVERWHELM.
My 90 day fast action planner is for you if you are:
- Hungry to grow faster but need help with FOCUS
- Sick of procrastinating and need more accountability
- Dying for an easy way to juggle family, work & holiday insanity
- Done feeling guilty and ready to feel FABULOUS again…it’s time!
Hurry! Download your copy here!
We’re gonna rock this together,
Nothing inspires me more than a room full of 200+ confident women (and men) sharing their war stories and best practices for success. CitrinCooperman’s VIP event, Women at the Wheel #WATWheel NJ was no exception. I’m happy to relay tips from their honored guests: These go-givers shared from their hearts to instill confidence in the audience.
Moderator Mandeep Trivedi holds a rare position as minority female practice leader of @CitrinCooperman’s valuation services team. Trivedi embodies the company’s motto, “Focus on what counts.”
She spoke highly of using mentors and business coaches to provide valuable perspective. Even the most confident women, for some reason, often need reminders to define our self worth:
“Everyone else thinks so highly of you, why not own that yourself?”
Realogy’s EVP and Chief Human Resources Officer, Sunita Holzer, thanked her parents for believing in the value of education and for empowering her and her brother with self-motivation. They also reinforced confidence by “never thinking that I couldn’t achieve whatever I went after.” Holzer encouraged women to dispel the work/life balance myth. She suggested that we pick our battles, be present where we are (as best we can) and choose priorities wisely.
“It’s never really 50/50. You’ll always feel guilty. Figure out what level of guilt you’re willing to tolerate.”
Tricia Vohden, Co-owner and EVP of Vericon Construction reminded us never to act surprised when we’re the only woman in the room or the only lady at the leadership table. She’s leveraged her talent in as male-dominated construction industry. Tricia was humbled by accolades as a leader in professional organizations to further grow her tribe and influence. Her path represents the true meaning of confidence and pursuing her passion: Vohden literally quit her job many years ago to follow her first boss when he branched on out his own. She just KNEW there was something special in building a new team together (despite so many unanswered questions). Vohden said,
“Don’t worry so much about status or titles. Follow your heart, pursue your passion, do your best and the money will come.”
Confident women in the public sector shared their recipes for success
Allison Larena, President and CEO of the Mayo Performing Arts Center was a proponent of creating positive momentum to get unstuck in your career. She followed her heart and love of music to help salvage Mayo Center from the wrecking ball, developing what she now calls “the most wonderful job in the world.” It’s no wonder she was one of the NJBIZ New Jersey’s Best 50 Women in Business. Her advice was
- Leverage volunteering to hone your skills
- Do something that inspires you beyond your primary career role
- When you job no longer serves you, seek advice from mentors and move on.
“Get unstuck. Follow your gut. Make change NOW: don’t wait.”
Finally, as the Commissioner of NJ Department of Children and Family Services, Allison Blake encouraged women to grow through strategic partnerships.
Shared inspiration through supportive programs such as Women at the Wheel will drive confidence and success far beyond this event. Thank you to the panel, @CitrinCooperman and sponsors @RikerDanzig, @WellsFargo, @NRBP and benefactor @CGEpeg. You rocked our day (and the days to come) with your inspirational advice!
Welcome to another installment of my 50 ROCKS: Life lessons for success as we look at the value of showing that we’re AMBITIOUS:
NOTHING rocked my career more than doing 4 cool internships…so I’m paying it forward to help some lucky students grow FAST in their careers, too. Keep in mind I’m the queen of special permission, so never let tradition stop you from asking for what you want and need out of a program. I’ve found that showing ambition with sincere intentions, justified with the support of key influencers, allowed me to enjoy unique privileges: you simply had to prove that the real-life work was more valuable time invested in learning vs taking some elementary courses. My bosses would vouch for my work, the deans would approved the credits and my portfolio was filled with magic at a very young age. My internships included:
- A global manufacturer (doing public relations and employee relations between employees in the US, Europe and Asia)
- Sports marketing at the Meadowlands Racetrack (a government agency, where honestly I was bored out of my mind because there was not enough challenging work to keep me busy)
- A home-base PR entrepreneur (Dorothy Stack Osborne, who taught me the value of work-life balance and how to serve corporate clients while juggling life as a young mom)
- The largest advertising and public relations agency in Washington DC (where I squeaked my way into a desk next to the CEO’s office, got myself invited into new business pitches and ultimately onto account teams while my peers were filing papers and making copies. I ran global promotions and ultimately landed to my first full-time job in their Philly office after graduation.)
I’m proof that you can grow faster if you show initiative and ambition. Want to know how to gather the backup to solicit the support of key folks who have the power to say YES to your creative scheduling? Here are some smart suggestions for internship success:
- Do what you love: Whether it’s writing, working with people, baking cakes or creating solar energy solutions, there’s someone out there willing to pay for your services once you market yourself to your ideal audience. Find internships that let you explore your creative side as well as pragmatic skills like juggling finances, public speaking or closing sales.
- Explore varied workplace settings: consider nonprofits, corporations, entrepreneurs, agencies, global vs local companies, family-run businesses. They offer very different company cultures, work processes and levels of freedom or flexibility. There’s much to learn from each.
- Do multiple internships: learn what you like and don’t like about different career paths. HINT: Finding what you DON’T LIKE is a great gift: it’s better to learn now while you have little risk or downside vs once you’re more established and have a mortgage and other major responsibilities.
- Keep track of your success: Create a digital or paper log of all your major jobs, projects, business contacts, presentations. Time flies and it gets harder to back track and remember what you accomplished years ago.
- Create a multi-channel portfolio of your best work: Now is NOT the time to be shy. Create a Facebook Live or YouTube video showing your sparkling personality. Digitize your work so you can easily update and share it using a personal website, blog or online resume.
- Cleanse your social media accounts: Create a professional-looking LinkedIn profile with a posed portrait. Remove your embarrassing social posts so potential employers won’t uncover your craziest/worst moments. Don’t let them doubt your credibility or the merits of your ability to help them grow their business. Yes, they search and scan your accounts to research you, too!
- Gather testimonials: Every time an employer, teacher or mentor compliments your work product or outstanding efforts, ask them if they’d kindly post that as a LinkedIn recommendation. Once it’s public, with their permission, you’re free to re-purpose it on your digital portfolio.
- Leverage your network: Go ahead, ask for favors. Tap into your family, friends, teachers and anyone who might get one step closer to your dream career.
- Do your homework: Before you meet with a potential mentor or employer, search their names, check out their personal and business pages on Facebook. Explore their credentials on LinkedIn. Learn where they went to school, projects or charities or other tidbits so you can weave in talk about their passions and relate on a more personal level.
- Dress for success: Show your personality but dress according to the potential work environment: A corporate or sales internship would deem a business suit or tailored dress, while you could wear something a bit more sporty if heading to a country club. ASK about their preferred dress code while you’re confirming interview details.
- Carry extra copies of your collateral: Send your information in advance via email, but also bring an iPad or tablet as well as printed copies of your portfolio. You’ll thank me if they have wifi issues or your battery dies.
- Arrive early for interviews: Allow an extra 20-30 minutes for parking, traffic or unforeseen mix ups. Never keep an interviewer (or client or manager) waiting.
- Ask smart questions: the search above will set the stage for a better dialogue so you can get to know more about their “WHY”, the best or worst parts of their current position and secrets for success. Always ask what advice they’d wished someone had told THEM at your age!
- Ask for ongoing mentoring: If you feel a connection, don’t hesitate to ask if the interviewer would be willing to mentor you (yes, regardless of whether you get that particular job or not). Set meeting goals and be sure to report back on progress.
- Follow up as promised: Hand write a thank you note, send a nice email and definitely ASK for the position! Don’t wait to be handed your dream gig, you’ve got to GO FOR IT! Good LUCK!
Welcome to another installment of my 50 ROCKS: Life Lessons for Success: Today’s rock inspiration: Hard Working
After watching so many friends die young, or have their traditional retirement nest egg fall way short, we can’t afford NOT to think smarter about how we approach our careers, our livelihood. Working harder can be short-sighted unless you apply a dose of strategy and passion to the formula.
The traditional, linear corporate ladder with a cushy pension was not my path. I prefer to carve my own destiny, thank you. So at middle age I’m more about working smarter, not harder. There won’t be a huge corporate or government pension in my future and that’s ok. I’ll manifest more as I practice what I preach: It’s imperative to dig deep, get laser-focused on your definition of success and strive for SMART goals (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-based). But perhaps equally important is the need to find balance, healthier living and feeling our best so that we can perform our best.
Ah, I am so committed to re-energizing today’s workforce and empowering folks to take charge of their careers and get out of overwhelm. We deserve what I consider true wealth:
- Freedom to pursue your passion
- Choice to work with folks you truly enjoy and flourish together
- Flexibility to own your schedule
- Unlimited earning thanks to multiple, recurring revenue streams
- Time to enjoy the fruits of your labor now
A major part of working smarter is living with ease and grace. I don’t panic over what is not visible or fret over what is missing: the more we need something, the more likely we are to push it away. Or we are less likely to see it when it’s right in front of us.
There’s nothing attractive about the stink of desperation. Rather, release the stress behind your desires. Dream big. Breathe more. Meditate. Pray over it. Make it happen.
Start by getting crystal clear on your vision, your focus. Decide your next best move…then put one foot in front of the other until momentum sweeps you farther and faster toward your ideal outcomes.
Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle!
Perhaps most importantly, live in gratitude for the moment and be more present. Abundance comes to those who let love, light and God shine in their path to clearly see what is truly possible …and to appreciate each stepping stone on that journey.
What part of this journey resonates with you? Please share YOUR tips for working smarter, not harder. Or tell us where you’re feeling stuck so we can help you get FOCUSED and back on the fast track to your own version of success.
Rock on, my friend.