A friend called to check in and congratulate me on all my recent progress. But honestly, she sounded exhausted and a bit frazzled. When I asked what’s up, she had FIVE major projects happening at the same time. Half were volunteer efforts, where perhaps she is over-committed and taking too much time away from getting her revenue-generating activities in order. Life just became too darn demanding (when it doesn’t have to be for her). No wonder she sounded frustrated…being busy but broke is never fun.
Sure, sometimes we face overwhelm when life gets too demanding. People get sick, accidents happen, workplace transitions kick our butts sometimes. While we cannot control EVERYTHING, we tend to sadly bring much of this chaos on ourselves. I’m the first to admit that over-commitment and lack of focus was always my challenge, too. Saying YES too often, not charging enough for my services so that I was working too hard and running around like a crazy person (busy but not productive).
Looking back, my quantum leap and success shift happened once I learned to…
- HONOR myself more and work in my zone of genius (vs trying to please everyone and do too many things)
- START saying NO
- DELEGATE (including taking the time to spell out exactly where I needed help and what was required for others to step in)
- FOCUS on what mattered in all areas – family, fun, fitness, finances and my fabulous career
- ESTABLISH a 90-day success plan with just 2 major priorities each day
- PACKAGE my services in a sales funnel with the right price points so that much is automated (for those who want to work at their own pace and save some dollars)
- RAISE MY VIP RATES by ensuring huge value for my 1:1 clients (who pay a premium but desire that personalized service to drive results faster).
Not only did I find time to become better and appreciate the more important facets of my life: I sleep more (7 hours) and don’t feel cranky all the time. I eat healthier. Amazing clients and collaborators are showing up because I’m ready to receive them. I can afford to hire great help so that others can lighten my load and free my time for more important facets of my life.
So I ask you this…how effective can we be when we fail to FOCUS and set priorities?
If you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a moment to sign up for my free, value-packed Rock Your Career Clarity & Get Unstuck Challenge. You’ll get instant access to the first video, plus a 10-question Career Clarity Quiz that can reveal special areas to focus on as you make your way through the challenge and back to working in your zone of genius!
P.S. Do you need to get focused on your next best step? Click here to schedule 1:1 time with me.